|The following applies to cooking a Turkey.
Modify it as
needed to accommodate your meal of choice
THIS IS A GUIDE!
I use it and have for over 35 years. If you burn yourself, ruin
the turkey ( or other meat) do not blame me!
Most Democrats, moochers and leeches will not do this as it involes work,
and their own money to buy the food BUT they will try to wrangle an invitation to come eat.
TOOLS / EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
1. Kettle Style CHARCOAL GRILL (I have a 22 inch diameter Weber)
NOTE: ANY GRILL WITH A COVER OR LID WILL
2. At least one 25 lb bag of Charcoal
3. Charcoal lighter fluid
4. Matches or other lighting instrument
5. @ 8 x 10 x 2 ALUMINUM pan
NOTE: LARGER PANS CAN BE BOUGHT IF
NEEDED (Dollar Stores are GREAT!)
6. 2 MEAT Thermometers (designed to work in the oven)
7. Wire bristle brush
8. 2 - POT HOLDERS type items (OVGLOVES work great)
9. NEW THIS YEAR 2013 I will be lining the
grill with Aluminium Foil to really help in clean up.
MAKE SURE TURKEY IS COMPLETELY THAWED and AT ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE COOKING.
NOTE: I use NO seasoning
as the Turkey skin, uring cooking, seals itself and the Turkey's own juices are cooking on
ON ONE SIDE Insert one thermometer towards the THIGH. (see
ON THE OTHER SIDE Insert the other thermometer towards the BREAST. (see
I DO NOT RECOMMEND
"STUFFING" THE TURKEY TO COOK THIS WAY!
1. ENSURE grill is CLEAN (wire brush is great).
PAM or other product onto grill areas for easier clean up later.
2. Place Aluminum pan in the center of the charcoal area (bottom
of the grill)
NOTE: If you are using a drum type grill you can cook at one end
of the cooking area but the center is
3. ADD charcoal on each side of the Aluminum pan's longest sides
NOTE: I add it to just above the height of the
4. Place grill on the top.
NOTE: ALIGN the handles so that
additional charcoal may be added if needed
5. ADD Charcoal lighter fluid to charcoal charcoal should look
WAIT & ALLOW for @ 3 minutes to pass
IF NEEDED ADD more charcoal lighter fluid to charcoal charcoal
6. CLOSE Charcoal Lighter Fluid container and place at least 10
feet away from the grill.
7. Light charcoal using BEST IS THE EXTENDED BUTANE
LIGHTERS matches or other lighting tool
8. After FLAMES die down, place lid on top of grill. It
should take about 30 minutes or so for the coals
to be ready. Check coals about 5
minutes after lid is on to ensure they are still lit!!
NOTE: NEVER APPLY MORE LIGHTER FLUID TO HOT COALS.
I use newspapers to wad it up making @ 10 balls then try to stuff them
between the side of the cooker and the charcoal. USE BEST IS THE
EXTENDED BUTANE LIGHTERS or other lighting tool
to ignite the paper
Place Turkey on a rack (which will then go on the top grate, of the
grill when charcoal is ready to cook the Turkey)
CAUTION OLD CHARCOAL ASHES CAN BE INHALED
OR GET IN YOUR EYES.
Goggles, surgical mask are great items for safety!
1. WAIT TILL CHARCOAL IS COMPLETELY OUT AND ASHES ARE COLD!
The next day is best!!!
2. NOTE: WHEN ASHES ARE COLD TO THE TOUCH, remove OLD &
COLD Charcoal ashes place in
a heavy, plastic bag THEN tie the
Place bag into a different plastic bag and tie
it up as well.
Place sealed bag in your garbage can.
NOTE: If charcoal is NOT completely cold it will melt the
bag and may burn you, your garbage can or perhaps your house!!